Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Sox and Fashion Police

The Boston Red Sox have won ten games in a row which inspires the question: why in the world did they pick the name Red Sox and what the hell are sox anyway? Can't be socks. Somebody in the front office would have caught that right off. Maybe it's an abbreviation for something, like Mets are for Metropolitans, Reds are for 1970's Russians and Rockies are for people who are not steady on their feet...but what? Frankly I'm baffled. I would think though, with a ten game winning streak going for them, this might be a great time to correct the errors of the past and introduce a new name. Something with a more modern sound to it. Something, say, like Blogs! The Boston Bloggers! That's it! I can see the headlines, Bloggers Bash Bronx Bombers. It's a nickname you can work with. Really. I mean what can you do with Sox? Sox Stink? Sox need darning? Sox wearing thin? Clearly Bloggers is the way to go.

It feels like a sports morning to me. I just read where Wimbledon is cracking down on cleavage. (There's a joke in there but I'm too tasteful to go for it even though I do like to keep abreast of things in the world of trophy cups.) Apparently some of the women players have been attired in fashions a bit too risque for the Brits. Not the British public mind you, they agree with me that when it comes to women's tennis little attire is good attire else why tune in in the first place. It's certainly not to hear the grunt thwock grunt thwock that accompanies every swipe at the ball. That would be, by all acounts boring. No, it's the stuffy old pervs who run the show that are making the objections. You can probably find them in the ladies locker room measuring cleavage as we speak. As my son likes to say because he feels it is an underused swear word.....The Bastards!

Ladies golf, by comparison, has taken a terriffic turn for the better. Not only are there a plethora, and where would we be if Howard Cosell had not given us "plethora" of hotties strolling the links, they are wearing whatever they feel suits them. Outfits ranging from short shorts and mini skorts to peddle pushers (how much money could a streetwise pusher make pushing peddles?) (The monkeymind is at large.) are in evidence. I'm sure terms like "skorts" and "peddle pushers" are ancient but they are the best I could pull from my limited vocabulary having not seen an "Elle" or a "Cosmo" since my last daughter left the building for college. ..but you get my drift. The Americans in charge of golf here have it all over the Wimbledon Brits in that they know what sells. Cleavage, I'm thinking is one of those things.

A distant, but persistent voice is nagging my conscience. It says, yeah but what about men's fashions? To this I can only reply...huh?

No comments: