Friday, June 16, 2006

Hodgepodge

I sing to my dog, but he remains unmoved.

Yesterday I bought a bunch of bananas. There were seven on the cluster. Big fat yellow beauties. Cost me 18 cents. Four limes cost 20.

I also bought Nexium, a drug reputed to be the end-all in heartburn avoidence. Fourteen pale pink pills whose cost could have bought me a banana plantation. I'm looking for a green chile, pepperoni, garlic pizza to put them to the test. Wash it all down with a nice acidic glass of red. See what happens.

I was wrong about The Open coverage yesterday. We didn't get four hours. We got Nine. I missed a couple buying bananas and watching Inglaterra defeat Trinidad and their Tobago Sauce In The World Cup. Which is a misnomer by the way. At least in Spanish. In Spanish the games are called Copa Del Mundial. If you want a cup of tea here you ask for a taza de te. Taza is a cup. If you want a glass of wine you ask for a copa de vino. Copa is a wine glass. The World Wine Glass continues today with the U.S. playing Italy. I think I'll watch golf. And eat bananas.

I fell asleep last night thinking of Things My Father Didn't Teach Me That I Also Forgot To Pass Along, But No Matter, My Kids Are SmarterThan Me and Learned Them Anyway. Things like working hard is good but it guarantees you nothing. Working smart and Being smart is better. And work indoors, play outdoors. People who work outdoors tend to gravitate toward bars for entertainment. There is fun there but golf is better. And so are fishing, camping, boating, hiking, cycling, volleyball and skiing. Okay forget that last one. And, of course, as Dave Barry once said, never lick a steak knife.

There will be further bits of too late wisdom passed along in this blog as they come to me. Perseverence is an important one. It's why I'm now off to sing to my dog.

No comments: